Many people ask what is pink mold and is it dangerous? Everybody knows black mold is very dangerous on the other hand pink mold is also dangerous. It looks very charming and beautiful but it is not a safe thing to keep it in your house. Pink mold is a airborne micro-organism also known as Serratia Marcescens. Pink mold grow mainly in wet, dark, and damp environment. You can find pink mold in bathroom, showers, tile grout, lavatories, etc. pink mold is often seen in many gymnasiums, hospitals or in spas where there are many shower present.
Pink mold is not so harmful for the healthy people. But elderly, immune compromised people such as patients of chemotherapy, or with liver disorder, and the people who are highly allergic with mold spores.
Pink mold can cause infection of many types. It can cause infection in the urinary tract, respiratory tract, and bladder infection, eye infection like conjunctivitis, keratitis, and tear duct infection. It is also a cause of endocarditis, pneumonia meningitis etc. It can resist some antibiotics because the presence of R-Factor in it.
To prevent pink mold growth in your house clean your bathroom, shower and tiles with bathroom cleaner at least once in a week. Remove soap and shampoo residue from your bathroom because it is the main food source of the pink mold, and without food source it cannot grow. Check to see if your bathroom’s exhaust fan is working properly. By minimizing the moisture and humidity you can prevent pink mold.
If you find pink mold in your house you should get rid of it as fast as possible. It is recommended that you consult with a professional certified mold contractor.