Black mold is a type of toxic mold which thrives in areas that are constantly exposed to moisture due to condensation, humidity, leaks in plumbing, and other water-related problems. Due to the damage it can cause to a person’s health and also to building structures, black mold has been a serious problem to homes, schools, and workplaces across the country.
Despite being commonly seen as more of an eyesore than a health hazard, recent studies in Mycology (the study of fungi) tell us that the toxic mold strain Strachybotrys Atra, more commonly known as black mold, has very serious health risks for humans and perhaps all living things.
Black mold poisoning shares a lot of symptoms with other diseases making it very hard to diagnose. For this reason, it is important that homeowners acquaint themselves with black mold and its health risks in case a member of the household suffers from black mold poisoning.
Black molds produce mycotoxins which are the harmful byproducts responsible for most negative mold reactions in humans, such as allergies and other health problems. Our bodies are not well-equipped to endure high amounts of mycotoxins making the ill effects of toxic black mold very dangerous. They can deal so much damage to a person’s health that they have, in fact, been used in chemical warfare.
Black mold toxins have been reported to cause lung bleeding which can lead to death among infants. It has also been shown to trigger asthma attacks and other allergies both with children and adults with compromised immune systems. Aside from attacking the respiratory system, black mold has also been found to damage the central nervous system. Black mold toxicity can cause depression, shortened attention span, memory loss, and other life-changing and life-threatening conditions.
With so many health hazards under its name, it is very important that black mold be removed as soon as a presence is detected. For less serious cases, any homeowner should be able to carry a mold test using a do it yourself kit and likewise remove the mold by himself. However, if the infestation has already spread extensively, it would be wiser to hire professionals to evaluate your home. They often employ detailed testing and use equipment designed specifically for the assessment and removal of molds.
Thousands of people become seriously ill annually due to mold-related causes. Although the symptoms may be mild at first, they can worsen over time. Black mold poisoning can cause chronic and even terminal diseases and should thus be taken seriously. Be aware that the effects of black mold are cumulative – meaning, that it becomes more severe over time.
If you suspect that a member of your household is suffering from black mold poisoning, get in touch with your physician right away and make sure that you get the medical attention you need.